Our love of nature and the organic products we have been growing in our garden for many years now has led us to start producing organic extra virgin green olive oil. We began producing small quantities of olive oil (always using unripe olives), having noticed the lack of this pure product on the market. We carefully selected the site and variety of olive trees, which we tend to personally in all stages of the process. It all comes naturally to us, as we love what we do.
The organic green olive oil we produce is known for its bright green colour, which it owes to the chlorophylls in unripe olives that give green olive oil the most antioxidant properties an olive oil can give. It differs from ordinary commercial extra virgin olive oil because it has a piquant/peppery flavour combined with the fruity aromas of freshly-cut unripe olives.
It contains all the vitamins and provitamins found in olive oil (A, K, E, B-carotene), as well as minerals, trace elements and polyphenols, which protect the cells against oxidative stress, active oxygen and free radicals. It does not contain cholesterol, sugars, carbohydrates, dietary fibres and proteins.
Each and every one of its qualities emanate youth, energy and character.
It is usually produced in limited quantities because it derives exclusively from top-quality olives.
The olives are handpicked in October and they are processed on the same day. In this way we achieve excellent quality but lack in quantity because the yield is no higher than 7 – 10%, thus affecting the final price of the product. Also, due to its rare “idiosyncrasy”, and high contain of polyphenols our green olive oil also has a longer shelf life. Consumers have 18 months to enjoy this unripe side of life!
Green olive oil is by nature rich in antioxidants and combines a superior flavour with high organic value. Its strongest qualities are evident from the time of its production in October until July. As the time passes, green olive oil loses its strong taste and colour, but not its nutrients.
Respecting the past…
It is certainly not by chance that the Venetians had chosen this precise area 300 years ago (1720) to create the well-known, historical Venetian Olive Grove of Preveza. They were well aware of the unique microclimate of the Preveza peninsula, with its mild winters and cool summers. Therefore, the olive oil deriving from these olive trees has a unique flavor and aroma, combined with high nutritional value.
Creating the present…
When we received the olive grove it was abandoned for many years to its fate. It took us almost four years to bring it to work. Today this olive grove is one of the most beautiful traditional olive groves in the region.
Investing in the future…
We continue to preserve the traditional “Venetian olive grove” of Preveza by creating new olive groves with the same old variety of olive trees – LIANOLIA (PREVEZANA).
We collect the fruit in the same traditional old way (manually), which means that we only select the healthy fruits. This process involves the whole family. Harvest season runs from late September to mid-October.
Why Green Olive Oil
Green olive oil is produced from green – unripe olives which are harvested in the end of September, early October (early harvest). Green olives contain the most polyphenols than the black ones.
Let us learn about its advantages:
1. Extra virgin olive oil and especially green olive oil has a delightful, piquant and enjoyable flavour. More and more people around the world are constantly discovering its beneficial effects.
2. The monounsaturated fatty acids found in large quantities in green olive oil, especially when they replace saturated fatty acids, help to reduce weight. The consumption of olive oil appears to facilitate the degradation of fat through the body’s fat cells, while it also helps to get rid of abdominal fat and regulate insulin.
3. Monounsaturated fatty acids combined with the antioxidants olive oil contains help prevent cardiovascular disease, diabetes and certain types of cancer, while they also boost the immune system, thus increasing longevity.
4. Studies have shown that diets rich in monounsaturated fatty acids (which are contained in olive oil) can prevent the deterioration of the brain’s cognitive functions which are associated with ageing and contribute to the prevention of diseases such as Alzheimer’s disease.
5. Olive oil contains vitamins A, D, E and K, which provide protection against free radicals and the oxidation of cells, which can lead to premature ageing (this is also why extra virgin olive oil is a basic ingredient in many beauty masks, not only for the face, but also for the hair, nails and entire body).
6. Research has shown that the consumption of extra virgin olive oil during pregnancy can improve the infant’s psychomotor reflexes and benefit its growth.
7. Extra virgin olive oil can act as a natural painkiller and also contains substances that have anti-inflammatory effects.
8. It improves blood circulation and makes breathing easier. The increase in blood flow combined with its anti-inflammatory effects help to alleviate the symptoms of many diseases, e.g. asthma.
9. Green olive oil contains high levels of antioxidants, which include polyphenols, vitamin E, carotenoids and chlorophyll. Antioxidants are the key to boosting the immune system and protecting the body. They also help to reduce high arterial pressure.
10. Lastly, it contains omega-3 fatty acids, the advantages of which are unquestionable as they boost the body’s protection.
It is clear that the daily consumption of olive oil positively affects human health, quality of life and longevity. Extra virgin olive oil should form the basis of every diet and not only of the Mediterranean diet!